Have fun with water!

You already know that playing with water is lots of fun. But did you know that water is our most precious natural resource? Your rural water provider works hard so you have sparkling clean drinking water at your home all the time.

These links let you have fun with water while you're at the computer!



Click to download!Click to download!Click to download!

Fifteen Fun Water Facts

  1. The amount of water on Earth has remained the same for two billion years.
  2. Water consists of three atoms, 2 hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom that are bonded together with electrical charges.
  3. Water moves around the earth in a water cycle that has five parts: evaporation, condensation, precipitation, infiltration and surface run-off.
  4. In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
  5. Water is the only substance that is found naturally on earth in three forms: liquid, gas, solid.
  6. Frozen water is 9% lighter than water, which is why ice floats on water.
  7. As oceans are very wide and there are multiple to be found on earth, oceans store most of the earth's water. This is apparently 97% of the total amount of water on earth, 2% of which is frozen.
  8. 80% of the earth's water is surface water. The other 20% is either ground water or atmospheric water vapor.
  9. Over 90% of the world's supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica.
  10. Approximately 66% of the human body consists of water. Water exists within all our organs and it is transported throughout our body to assist physical functions.
  11. Water leaves the stomach five minutes after consumption.
  12. Two thirds of the water used in a home is used in the bathroom.
  13. Bottled water can be up to 1000 times more expensive than tap water and it may not be as safe.
  14. Today, drinking water meets over a hundred different standards for drinking water quality.
  15. Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water.